Sunday, June 7, 2009

What you see....

First off some props to my clients from the week. Thanks go out to Duane and Tyson, visiting here from the bayou, Baton Rouge LA and Greg from Prior lake MN. As always I am humbled by the opportunity and look forward to fishing with you gents again soon!

Here's what you see when you keep your eyes open in the woods. The big moth is a Polyphemus Moth, a type of silk moth in the Giant moth family, clearly! This bugger was fresh to the world and not much of a flyer in the early morning chill. Polyphemus moth's are large, this guy was maybe 5" in diameter, but not as big as the Cecropia's which seem to happen a bit later in the summer. What a treat, and my clients enjoyed it as well, bonus nature experience.

There's been a lot of fishing happening lately, as usual I'm mixing it up as only I seem to like to do. I've been out on Cedar lake in uptown a few times over the last couple weeks. I've been trying to locate a rock pile a scuba diver told me about, that he says is loaded with nice walleyes. I think I did find it and sure enough, got a few eye's but they were puny and not what I was after. The bonus 33" Tiger Musky however more than made up for the itty bitty walleyes. Got him on a jig & leech off the weed edge. The fellas in the rig next to me landed a 3 footer, which promptly ended up in the bottom of the canoe, flopping for 5 minutes till they could get a grip on the situation...not pretty and a dead musky, of that I am sure. On the paddle back across the lake, i came upon a solid 45" fish, hanging out over 35' of water, I was able to track him for 30 feet and got a real good look at it, giant Tiger!


My St. Croix induced tan is also taking shape. After catching a small musky on opener, I'd been blanked in 4 outings at least, maybe 25 hours total. In that time I'd been seeing fish, but not until mid week did I have success again. Wednesday I was alone, fishing bayport pool primarily and contacted 3 fish, had 2 good attacks but no hooks. Thursday the Gooch and I hit it and I made one pay. The viper strikes once again and this 43" fatty drank the kool-aid. I had missed a fish that seemed was solidly hook just an hour earlier. Add a couple more follows and it was a decent night, saw 5 landed one.

We are finally getting some much needed rain, the local streams look pretty rough although the kinni still seems to be fishing pretty well. The willow looked as if I'd never seen it, that is the bottom of holes I once thought had none. This rain should stir things up, especially if it comes as predicted tomorrow. I'll be on the Rush this week sometime, a little combo fishing/dinner/wedding planning trip to Vino in the valley with Jen J. I'll let y'all know how she looks.

some images from the week.

No comments: