Tuesday, July 29, 2008

muskies En Fuego!




So ya.....it's been a week or so since the last update, maybe a bit more in fact....There's been a bunch of fishing going down, but my computer came down with a virus and I'm having to add this report from my lovely Gal Jennifers, until I get de-bugged.  What is their point anyway, worms, spam, virus etc....get a damn life hackers.

Lets see...I'll start with yesterdays action and work backwards.

I was on the River yesterday with Joe and Tom Hackbarth, father and son team from River Falls WI.  It was to be the Croix mixed bag day, but we got a little sidetracked with MUSKIES! The muskie bite has been terrific in mid summer form so that was to be the focus till noontime lunch break.  We started out with a couple trolling passes to see what and where, the first 2 passes nothing, and I could sense the need for a little action so I convinced them the 3rd pass was a charm and my gut told me to stick with it. It's a damn good thing because straightaway on pass 3 we stuck a fully airborne 44" stud of a muskie, Tom was on reel duty and within minutes and some struggle we got this very hot fish onboard.  OK, enthusiasm levels sufficiently redlining now, high fives and pictures all around then came the real work.  As happens, the fish just engulfed the bucktail and I had to do some minor surgery and get in the water with her to get this fabulous creature revived and swimming strong.  Both Tom and Joe understood the importance of a clean and safe release so we took our time. after a nice ride along the boat, mouth agape, she was finally ready to go.  We all felt great having not only netted her, but more importantly released her to fight again.  Good job men!  NO sooner had we gotten lines back in and just settled down from the excitement that was the first fish, WHAM!  There's another!  controlled chaos that is a muskie on a planer board.  Same bait as last fish, Tom on the reel once again.  Another great fish and great fight, but this one spared us the revival issues and came off just as I slid the net under her. 2 fish in 45 minutes, needless to say we were stoked!  This one taped out at 42", not quite as heavy as #1, but really spunky as these 40ish fish seem to always be.  So cool, Tom @ 15 gets his first two Muskies and I got to be a part of it....Love my job!  Off we went to afton State Park for lunch and while the afternoon provided none of the excitement of the morning, we finished off the day in fine style; full and happy with memories of big green fish with teeth!

While were on the muskie talk....The Image on the top of the blog is of Rick Demarchis from the twin city area with one of his 2 muskies landed last wednesday morning.  Rick was with a group from 3M and Excel Energy and the one guy in the bunch who had the desire to chase muskies that morning and it's a good thing!  We started out doing a little trolling to get the feel and were seeing fish free swimming around as the sun started to heat up the water surface a little, so we dropped the trolling and picked up the top raiders.  not 5 minutes into casting and Rick had a nice blowup only to be followed moments later my a nice 42" fish that gobbled a black TR.  Nice start Rick, lets find more I said!  We ended up going 2 for 6, with a nice spunky 37" fish trolling and as the time bell rang we lost a much bigger fish that we never saw.  Rick was hooked and we're going to try to get out this week yet, perhaps tomorrow or thursday.  

I have done a bit of trout fishing and did have one good night with Fred last saturday.  We fished Hex but they were not responding to the dries so we switched back up to streamers and it's a good thing we did.  I popped a nice 17" brown at about 10pm, Fred got a number of grabs and a couple nice big stream smallies to boot.  About 10:30 or so he got broken off on 8lb and said "get in there, there's a big one about" so I did and Wham! the big whahoo muddler was clobbered by a 22" male, gorgeous fish, big kyper of a jaw and all colored up nicely. My big trout of the year to date.  Brad is coming down for a funeral today so I think we'll be out this evening, barring any crazy storm action.

This weekend I'll be fishing with my good friend and Client Francis O'Neill from VA.  He's flying in from the Oshkosh Airshow on saturday and we have 3 days of Muskie fishing in the Hayward area over the long weekend.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing Francis again and getting him on the freshwater Tarpon...

More to come, here's some images from the week that was.

cheers,

BPM                           

No comments: