Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Trilliums

There's a particular spot on the Rush, upstream of Stonehammer Rd where the canopy is high and the wildflowers cover the rolling ground like a carpet of color. Wild Geranium, Phlox and Trillium dominate along with a host of others of which I don't know the name. Most were in shades of purple it seemed, even the Trillium which were starting to lose their milky white to the summer season. It's my favorite spot on the Rush, Francis and I visited twice during our days together. I'd like to think it's as much to enjoy the flowers as catch a few fish.

As a client, Francis reminded me of why I love to guide as I do. Each outing has it's challenges, having been a frequent client of guides in many different places for many different species, Francis embraced the challenge that is the spring creek trout and sporting a beautiful cane rod, proceeded to master the techniques needed to fool these wary creatures. Not to say there weren't moments of trial, maybe 10 flies in 30 minutes trying to match or even come close to the variety of bugs available on the water. At any time there was nothing at all, or a mixed bag of Hendricksons, Sulphers, midges, caddis of several varieties and even the odd crane fly. Despite a bum knee, Francis indulged my insistence at covering a little more ground in the interest of not only seeing more water, but enjoying the scenery and finding that perfect spot to enjoy lunch and reflect upon the day.

Overall, the fishing last week was good. The timing of the hatches varied from day to day but the advantage of having 4 days was that there's a good chance to be around when something does decide to happen. I was lucky enough to get out on Monday with another great client, Seth from Stillwater. He was new to trout fishing (save for an adventure on the North Island of New Zealand) and with a little coaching on his cast and mending, took to it just great and had a terrific morning of angling. After parting ways with Seth, I dragged the boat to the river and chased muskies for a couple hours. Fritzy and I did manage to raise a few fish but no takers. Water temp was upper 60's and had actually gone up from the weekends rains. I'll be back at them here this weekend sometime and have a trip friday for the croix mixed bag. Look for more updates in the next couple days.

bigpikemike




No comments: