Tuesday, April 1, 2008

my good fortune


Greetings ~


this will be a quick one as I'm off to meet Mr. Walleye @ hidden falls in just a bit.


I Had the good fortune of fishing with Wahoo aka Chris Adams on Sunday evening. We both grew up on the stream it seems and are part of a network of high school buddies that still meet up to chase trout and drink a beer or three. My real good fortune was this, Wahoo ties some seriously evil muddlers, the finest big trout flies I've seen. just the right mix of ingredients and variations in color and size, I managed to talk him out of a couple for the evening and contracted him to tie me up a dozen for our fishing thursday morning. I was down to a couple that were so beat up, they were more like kruddlers. so timing was very good. The weather was nice, although on the front end of the storm that we got yesterday, so falling temps and change in pressure, usually means good fishing for all species. We pretty much took turns on each nice piece of water and chatted a bit, but at some point decided to bee line it to the lower reaches after that one big bite...Took a while and some change in color and tactics but we each managed one nice fish, Wahoo a 17" female on a nondiscript black wolley bugger and I plucked a 18-19" or so on a black wahoo conehead muddler variation. Both fish came later in the evening, after 6, which was a change from the usual 3-5 bite and color, black, another change from the whites and naturals we seem to rely on during off color water times. Things should only get better, I'll get more in depth on technique on my next post. The things we do locally can and do work on any trout water you may be on, regardless of where it is. big trout eat big prey period, no go get em!


No comments: